Wednesday 23 July 2014

Basic Tools

Have you ever come across the question "what tools do I need" when you look at our DIY miniature kits?

The answer is A General Toolbox with Basic Tools is fine.

The good thing about our DIY kits is that most of the parts are pre-cut, drilled, painted and ready for assembly. Occasionally you may need to cut a wooden rod into small sections, trim off a corner or cut fabric into different sizes for furnishings, however these all can be easily done with a general toolbox :-



1. Small sharp scissors to cut fabric / paper

2. Craft knife to cut small pieces of wood, or wallpaper, carpet and flooring which gives a neat finish on the cut edge

3. Cutting Mat

4. Sandpaper to sand an angle off a piece of wood, most commonly 45°, or any rough cut on the wood which is unlikely from our kits

5. Awl to poke a little hole (not the person sitting right next to you!), or to hold an extremely small piece in place. The pointy tip is really handy for delicate work. It can be used to score paper or cardstock too (yes, it's the best scoring tool I've ever had!)

6. Tweezers to help pick up tiny pieces (they are really helpful for someone who has blunt fingers like me)

7. Metal rulers to measure or guide for cutting a straight line

8. Glue (needless to say "to glue things together" :P)

There is probably one more thing which is not really a tool but I would like to add: A Tray.
I use the lid of a memory box while my friend uses a wooden tray bought from a craft store.
We find working in a tray is way better than an open area as all the bits and pieces will stay in one place (I guess they will not jump over the "fence" themselves) instead of ending up somewhere unexpected as with conversation below:

Hey honey, can you please have a look to see if you are sitting on my leg?

What? Why would I sit on your leg?

I am talking about my miniature chair leg

Oh... I'm not. What does it look like?

Well, it's white, and has a funny shape of... oh how do I describe it in words... anyway it probably as big as your finger tip, you may need your reading glasses to find it... OH! FREEZE! I spot it! it's 1 cm to the right of your left foot... don't move...

Where? ...